Monday, February 4, 2013

Field Trippin’ At Warby Parker



                                                       

I have always loved a field trip. I am the first mom to sign up for anything my son or daughter goes on. The Getty—I’m there. The zoo—I wanna go too. A good field trip can always offer up some inspiration.

In second grade I had just flown up from a Brownie to a Girl Scout. At last I had my wings. And the first item on the troop’s agenda was a field trip to Jays potato chip factory in downtown Milwaukee. I remember the big open warehouse space, the metal staircases everywhere, the workers with their pale blue uniforms, plastic gloves and hats. I remember the sound of the conveyor belts and the fresh aroma of hot, crisp potato chips rolling down them.

At the end of the tour we all walked out with a big warm white box with Jays written in blue across the front filled with bags of freshly made chips. The purpose of trip was to show us how potato chips were made so we could earn our research badge. But I also think they were secretly recruiting future factory workers. Hey, a job opportunity is a job opportunity, but I had no intention of working in a factory. Becoming a junk food tycoon? Maybe. Creating my own line of snack foods?! Dreamy!


Riding home on the bus proudly holding my warm box of Jays I knew I was changed by that trip. My perspective on the world was expanded and my future just a bit brighter. Well maybe I can be idealistic. But that’s the power of a field trip, and I do believe I was changed by that potato chip factory.


Perhaps the boys who brainstormed Warby Parker were fortunate enough to peer inside the workings of a factory in their youth! Or not. But these are four smart guys. Graduates of Wharton, they created a business model that is hip, accessible and affordable. Warby Parker is named after two of Jack Kerouac’s earliest characters, Warby Pepper and Zagg Parker, uncovered in his personal journals.

Warby Parker is eyewear with a purpose. Buy a pair, give a pair (to someone in need), the frames and prescription lenses are $95, no matter how you slice it.
On a recent trip to the pop-up store in New York City’s Meat Packing district, I was delighted with the design of the store and the aesthetic of the brand.


              
Back in LA on a recent field trip, I discovered the store-in-store behind the boutique Confederacy in Los Feliz and was equally pleased. Many of the stores offer a complimentary photo booth to shed some fun perspective on your choices, and the online virtual gallery is extremely accurate. To get $5 off any Warby Parker glasses, physically go to the Confederacy to receive the code to use in store or online.

These folks are very accommodating and want you to be satisfied. My daughter Wyni’s purchase arrived and she wasn’t pleased with the frame color and they were more than happy to exchange.
I wanted to feature a few pairs on real faces, so here you go.

           Zeut in the Zagg and Wyni in the Preston 

    Danny in the Crosby, Cortes in the Sinclair and I am wearing the Willoughby fade 

                 Frances wearing the Winston

I’m choosing my pair this week. Let me know what you find!


12 comments:

  1. BRAVO!!! I LOVE THE STORY OF THE POTATO CHIP FACTORY, I DON'T REMEMBER GOING TO THAT FACTORY, I THINK MY CLAS WENT TO THE WONDER BREAD FACTORY. I REALLY ALSO LOVE THAT YOU DID RESEARCH ON HOW THEY GOT THE NAME FOR WARBY PARKER.
    KEEP THESE BLOGS COMIN KELI DANIELS. HOW ABOUT TWO A WEEK? I CAN'T GET ENOUGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Loji! I remember that Wonder Bread factory and the smell of freshly baked bread. Mmnnnnn. I will try to fulfill your request for more than one blog post a week. In the meantime I appreciate your loyal readership!
      XX,keli

      Delete
  2. Now I want potato chips! I wish our field trips had that kind of affect on me...but come to think of it...we can look at any little trip or adventure as a sort of field trip. Today...I learned that I CAN walk up the hill on Western up to Griffith Park and NOT die...but in fact...do it filled with energy. Francisco loved it. Next field trip...perhaps the musuem tomorrow. It's been years since I went. I am inspired!!! We are so spoiled in LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Amy! Congrats on that hill and your enthusiastic conquering of it! I do believe a random field trip to a museum is in order. Or perhaps a walk up that hill to the Griffith Observatory.
      Hmmnnn. And thanks again for following 160gotitfor12!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE THIS!!!!! You're reminding me of my girl scout days, walking the field with my best friend Suzie collecting caterpillars, going on field trips to the Natural History Museum where we got to sleep in a room full of stuffed Mammals and Dinosaur Bones, probably some of the coolest memories as a child:) It was lots of fun!!

    Warby Parkers company is exactly how you described it to be!! They couldn't be more helpful with purchases. I was amazed by how personable the members of the company were. I would get e-mails by a Julie, a Tom, checking in, letting me know that my order was successfully delivered, or checking to see how I like my frames. They couldn't be more helpful!! And the CUTEST STYLE!!!! Thanks Momma for sharing your love for Warby Parkers and bringing back fun field trip memories:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this company!!! Love my Warby Parker frames. I also love that they are sooooo reasonably priced AND give away a pair to someone in need. The quality of the glasses is so high. Agree, agree, agree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! Can't wait to see your Warby sunglasses!
      Happy field trippin'.
      XX, Keli

      Delete
  5. I just ordered a new pair myself. I remember that field trip and many others. Thanks for following!
    XX,
    Kelbel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Keli...seems like Warby Parker has gotten very hot...I keep hearing from different friends about the brand. Did you know WP is actually having a real Class Trip?!!
    http://www.warbyparkerclasstrip.com/
    Here's a link to the actual bus: http://www.warbyparkerclasstrip.com/about-the-bus/
    They'll be on Abbot Kinney in Venice from now til Mar 3 then West Hollywood Mar 5-24
    Hope you're doing great!
    -Clark

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the links Clark. i just tweeted about this. How cool is that! I will be checking out the class trip with my daughter this week in Venice! I just ordered a super cute pair of WP's in Los Feliz. Everyone in this company is so helpful. A truly terrific brand that I am in love with!
    Thanks again!
    Keli

    ReplyDelete